Click on the icon to listen to an audio recording of this page
Braille is a system of raised dots devised by Louis Braille in 1821. Read using fingers, it is used by people who are blind or have low vision.
VST produces Braille Transcription documents in-house using the very latest transcription software and embossers. We produce materials in both Grade 1 and Grade 2 Braille. To ensure the accuracy of our Braille transcriptions, our dedicated Braille verification team supported by specialist software checks text, page order and layout.
- 1.Easy to handle A4 Size.
- 2.User friendly format for reading by visually impaired people.
- 3.Can produce braille in other formats and a variety of paper grades
We produce easy to handle A4 documents that are embossed on both sides to reduce bulk. This format is widely considered to be the most user-friendly and practical, as it fits standard envelopes and can be conveniently stored. We can incorporate tactile diagrams into documents produced in Braille. Documents can be bound and presented according to our customers’ brand and campaign requirements, and produced in a variety of formats and paper grades, as required.
We also transcribe documents into the Moon System of Embossed Reading. Published in 1845 by Dr William Moon, this writing system uses embossed symbols derived from the Roman alphabet. It is produced using raised curves, angles and lines. As with Braille, Moon documents are produced in A4 and can be bound in a variety of formats.
We can transcribe Braille in to Welsh in accordance with the Welsh Language Act.
• Your files are received electronically via our secure services or by post or fax.
• Our sector-experienced transcribers process your content quickly and accurately.
• Your document is comprehensively checked for quality assurance.
• The content is printed to the highest quality on our advanced high speed Braille or Moon embossers.
• Your alternative format document is despatched directly to your customer.
We adhere to guidelines produced by the UKAAF (United Kingdom Association of Alternative Formats) of which the directors of VST are original members. We also adhere to guidelines outlined by the RNIB.
Typical documents include:
- >Terms & conditions
- >PIN services
- >Healthcare documents
- >Patient information leaflets
- >Legal documents
- >Notices and disclosures
- >Booklets and leaflets
- >Codes of practice
- >Company magazines